Q: What is Kojic acid?
Kojic acid is a naturally occurring substance that is obtained from certain species of fungi, particularly Aspergillus oryzae. It is commonly used in skincare products and cosmetics for its skin lightening and brightening properties. Mainly used as whitening agent, food additive, can also be used as preservative, preservative and color fixative.
Q：Kojic acid also has a wide range of uses:
1. Nutritional supplements: Kojic acid can be used as a nutritional supplement for human intake. It can be used as a coenzyme of vitamin C to help it play a better antioxidant role.
2. Cosmetics: Kojic acid has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, so it is widely used in cosmetics. It can reduce skin damage, inhibit skin inflammation, improve skin tone and anti-aging.
3. Food additives: Kojic acid can be used as a natural food additive to improve the taste and color of food. It can also be used to protect nutrients in food from oxidation.
4. Pharmaceutical preparations: Kojic acid is also widely used in the field of medicine. It can be used alone or in combination with other drugs to prevent and treat diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, allergies and inflammation.
Q: Is kojic acid safe to use in cosmetics?
(1) Kojic acid is absorbed very slowly from the human skin into the circulation and most likely does not reach the threshold for these effects. Kojic acid is safe in cosmetics at concentrations below 2%.
(2) In a patch trial of 220 female patients, there was no evidence that less than 2% of kojic acid products caused contact dermatitis. In terms of phototoxicity, it was confirmed that “kojic acid” had no phototoxicity and did not cause delayed contact reaction. Therefore, products containing kojic acid can be used during the day
Q: How much kojic acid is added to cosmetics?
0.5 to 2%
Q: Kojic acid solubility:
Soluble in water, the use of concentration between 1%-3%, non-toxic, minimal irritation after use, in the food industry is used as an antioxidant, but in the application of whitening products, there is a stability problem in the formula, will make the addition of kojic acid products turn yellow brown. For this reason, antioxidants are added to beauty cosmetics containing kojic acid.